- Dish type
- Grain salad
- Rice salad
A simple, healthy salad that's easy to prepare. Substitute dried black beans or tinned kidney beans if you can't find tinned black beans.
174 people made this
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 2 green chillies, minced
- 170ml (6 fl oz) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (340g) tin sweetcorn
- 1 (400g) tin black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 145g (5 oz) easy cook brown rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:20min ›Ready in:30min
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, red pepper, chillies, lemon juice, coriander, basil, cayenne pepper, sweetcorn and beans. Stir to combine the vegetables, then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil at a medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until they are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Pour in rice and toss to coat. Cook rice according to packet instructions. Once cooked, let the rice cool slightly.
- Combine the rice, vegetable mixture, alt and pepper and serve.
Black turtle beans, or simply 'black beans' for short, are especially common in Latin American cuisine. High in fibre and packed with nutrients, they're a healthy addition to any dish. If you can't find tinned black beans, use dried.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(71)
Reviews in English (57)
Lovely dish. Can be made as a light lunch to have on it's own, or as an accompaniment to grilled fish/chicken. As a runner, this is a perfect pre-run meal! I added a handful of sultanas to this for a lovely, sweet kick! Like the other reviewer, I also added different beans.-19 Aug 2010
Used different ingredients.Used tin of mixed beans and tin of kidney beans, both drained and rinsed. Also added handful of sultanas. Instead of cayenne pepper, used 1.5 teaspoons of cumin.-19 Aug 2010
This went down well at a picnic. I worried that there seemed to be an awful lot of lemon juice but it wasn't overpowering.I used kidney beans rather than black beans, but that worked well too.-19 May 2010